On November 5th, 2019, the College of Business Administration (COBA) held their second Entrepreneurship Day event in the Student Union Atrium from 11am until 3pm. The purpose of this event was for young entrepreneurs to showcase their business to their fellow peers.

The Entrepreneurship Day STEP UP Expo was a combined effort of Dr. Brown’s Creativity and Entrepreneurship class and Ace Space, which is a student-run business that was created in 2014 by four instructors in the College of Business Administration (COBA). Jamese Scott, a senior Business Management major in Dr. Brown’s class, said the event came about when the class was challenged to “create an event that displays creativity and somehow encourages entrepreneurship on campus.”

Over 300 students from Savannah State University and Chatham County schools came to participate in the event. They were able to learn about 20 different business by Savannah State students. The types of businesses displayed were food, cosmetics, accessories, clothing among other products and services.

At this event, some of these fellow entrepreneurs who were vending shared their experiences as entrepreneurship. The CEO of Curls on Crack, Jaila Colvin, is a junior, criminal justice major who shared some insight on her day. Her business focuses on natural hair and skin products.  She said, “This was a great opportunity for these black-owned businesses to come out and network and motivate anyone who is thinking about getting into this field of work.” 

Colvin’s business started by an experiment. She started with a pre-sale launch to see how consumers responded forced her to create a business plan. She loved being an entrepreneur because she’s allowed to make money on her own terms and seeing revenue she makes from her investments. She said we can expect new products from Curls on Crack in the near future.

Keith Booker, the founder of Sociomara clothing, is a senior sociology major who had a similar experience. Booker started this clothing brand to advance his music career and give his supporters something unique and fashionable to remember his brand. He also has advice for someone wanting to start a business. Booker said, “make sure you do your research, 80% of the process is research and the other 20% in action.”

The class aimed to host three hundred participants and they exceed that goal in the first hour. This opportunity gave many black-owned businesses the ability to showcase their abilities and network with other entrepreneurs who share the same goal, which is to succeed.

"In the future, you can expect more peer ran events that caters to the students’ goals and aspirations,” said Scott. To learn more about Ace Space and their upcoming events you can follow them on Instagram at ssu_acespace as well as visit their website at https://ssuaceweb.wixsite.com/theacespace.

 

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.